Better than take-out, this easy General Tso’s Tofu is crispy, sticky, sweet, sour, and easy enough to make on a weeknight!
***This post contains affiliate links. If you click a link and make a purchase, I’ll make a small commission. Thank you for supporting this site!
This tofu is anything but basic–it’s crispy, it’s saucy, it’s takeout-style delicious!
Like most people that eat tofu regularly, once upon a time I thought the stuff was weird, lifeless and gross. I know, probably not the best way to get you interested in this recipe, but trust me, this isn’t the soggy, takeout-style tofu that you might have tried once and sworn off forever!
There are some concerns around tofu, some people think it’ll give you man boobs, some people think it’s only for vegans, and some people think it’s just plain disgusting. None of that stuff is true, by the way, that’s just the rumor mill hard at work.
HOW TO MAKE GENERAL TSO’S TOFU
General Tso’s Tofu is easy to make and it’s delicious. The process is simple and looks something like this:
MARINATE THE TOFU: You don’t want to skip this step, it makes the tofu very flavorful.
BAKE THE TOFU: I always recommend baking the tofu, always. You don’t need to use any oil, but adding a drizzle before baking does help it crisp up.
IF YOU PREFER TO PAN-FRY: You can pan fry the tofu as well. Simply heat a few tablespoons of neutral-tasting oil in a pan, add the marinated tofu, and flip carefully with a spatula every three minutes until the tofu is crispy.
THE SAUCE: The sauce couldn’t be easier. You simply whisk all of the ingredients in a saucepan, turn the heat up to high, and whisk continuously until it’s bubbly and thick, then turn it off and toss the tofu into the sauce until it’s coated.
I recommend you serve this over sweet rice. I really like this brand that you can get right here on Amazon.
HELPFUL KITCHEN TOOLS
OTHER @PLANTSDISH RECIPES
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE
Please let me know your thoughts in the comments and give this recipe a star rating and comment. Also, please follow me on IG @plantsdish and tag your creation #plantsdish. For more plant-forward content follow me on Pinterest!
General Tso’s Tofu
FOR THE TOFU
- 1 14 oz block firm or extra firm tofu drained, pressed, and cubed
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch
FOR THE GENERAL TSO'S SAUCE
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar packed
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1 tbsp ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees F.
- Combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, and cornstarch/arrowroot starch in a bowl and whisk together. Add the cubed tofu and allow it to marinate for 20-30 minutes.
BAKING THE TOFU
- Add the marinaded tofu to a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 15-30 minutes, flipping halfway through.
FOR THE GENERAL TSO'S SAUCE
- In a saucepan, whisk all ingredients for the General Tso's Sauce together and heat on high for 5 minutes, whisking continuously, until bubbly and thick.
- Toss the baked tofu in the sauce and serve.