A quick, delicious pumpkin soup made from canned pumpkin puree? Yes, it can be done! A not too sweet and not too spicy, vegan version of an October classic!
I SWEAR, THIS IS MY LAST OCTOBER-THEMED RECIPE
My favorite book is Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I just re-read it for the (maybe?) tenth time, and I’m always blown away by the beauty of this book.
It’s not exactly an October read (normally, sure, I do a little -a lot- Stephen King) but this year, I am a mother of three and my anxiety is through the roof therefore I need something familiar, feel-good, and delicious.
Be with me always – take any form – drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I can not live without my life! I can not live without my soul!Emily Bronte
Speaking of familiar, feel-good, delicious, and October-appropriate, I want to introduce you to this QUICK pumpkin soup.
It’s great for holding in a mug while reading something cozy. Or pouring into your Hydro Flask while on the go…
…and SERIOUSLY delicious.
I’ve mentioned (probably in every single post) that I’m a military spouse? Well, this means that my husband is away (a lot), and that dinner must be quick. And kid-approved.
Nights where my husband is gone are busy beyond belief. Therefore when I’m craving an October-classic, I don’t have time to roast a pumpkin and then chop veggies, and THEN make the soup.
Nope, it has to be quick. But honestly if I had all of the time in the world I would sip on wine and roast a damn pumpkin, but that just isn’t the phase of life that I’m in, currently (and truly enjoying every second of it)…
MAYBE YOU CAN RELATE?
Or perhaps you just love a really-quick pumpkin soup? Either way works for me 😉
I hope that you enjoy this recipe, please tag @plantsdish on IG and show me how it turns out!
QUICK VEGAN PUMPKIN SOUP
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 red onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp ginger ground
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes for heat
- 1 pinch turmeric for flavor + health
- 1 pinch smoked paprika
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- salt + pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut milk or cream
- in a stock pot over medium heat sautee the olive oil, onion, garlic, carrot, and spices until translucent + fragrant (about ten minutes)
- turn the stock pot off
- add to a blender with pumpk puree, maple syrup, coconut milk or cream, and broth to a blender
- blend until completely smooth
- transfer back to stock pot over medium heat and simmer for ten minutes
- salt + pepper to taste, top with roasted pumpkin seeds, almonds, coconut cream, + serve immediately