This soup is hot. With an extra “t”.
For your convenience, this site uses Amazon affiliate links. If you click a link and make a purchase, I will earn a small commission. Thank you for supporting this site!
THINGS JUST GOT REAL.
The weather is getting crisp in the mornings here in Twentynine Palms and something about that just makes me thing “okay! Time to bust out the slow cooker and make some thick soups!”
I don’t use my slow cooker very often, but it’s great for slow cooking soups! I’m a bigger fan of the Instant Pot, honestly, but nothing can replace the classic slow cooker when you’re in the mood for it.
IT’S SO EASY.
Any-who, let’s discuss this soup, shall we? It’s so easy.
As with almost any vegan meal, it does involve chopping a ton of veggies.
I recommend cutting this time in half by getting a really, really nice knife. I have this one, and I love it. It’s under $20.
I’m going to call this a two-step soup, you have to chop your veggies, blend some beans, cashews, and broth, and then just combine everything into the slow cooker and turn it on high.
So, maybe three steps, but really only two “labor-intensive” ones.
The thing that I think I love most about soups are the toppings. Especially this one, I really do think that you can’t choose a bad topping.
I topped mine with Tempeh Bacon and fresh, chopped spinach.
- You could top yours with:
- Tortilla chips
- Sliced almonds or walnuts
- Vegan cheese or nutritional yeast
ENJOY THIS RECIPE FOR VEGAN WILD RICE SOUP!
If you try this recipe, please let me know, show me your creations! Tag @plantsdish #plantsdish on IG!
SLOW COOKER CREAMY WILD RICE SOUP (VEGAN)
- slow cooker
- 6 1/2 cups veggie broth
- 1 15.5 ounce can navy beans rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup wild rice or wild rice blend
- 1 cup raw cashews soak for 30 minutes if not using a high-powered blender
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 2 large carrots chopped
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 2 medium red potatoes diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 4 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 4 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast optional
- t tsp thyme
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 rosemary sprig optional
- 1-2 bay leaves optional
- add the chopped celery, carrots, onion, potato, garlic, wild rice blend, rosemary sprig, bay leaves, nutritional yeast, 4 cups of broth, soy sauce, spices, and maple syrup to a slow cooker
- in a blender, combine the cashews, rinsed navy beans, and remaining 2 1/2 cups of broth and blend on high until completely smooth
- add the contents of the blender to the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 1/2 -5 hours or cook on low for up to 7 hours
- remove bay leaves, and rosemary stems, and serve!
- also, take a photo and tag @plantsdish #plantsdish on IG, show me! I'd love to see! 😉
BOOKS, BLOGGERS + PODCASTS I’M LOVING
Everything is Figureoutable by Marie Forleo – I cannot recommend this book enough. It’s so helpful for navigating almost any situation in life and as long as what you’re trying to “figure out” isn’t outside the laws of nature, then it’s truly FIGUREOUTABLE! It’s almost as life-changing as study abroad, ya know?
Jo, My Gosh! – Jo, My Gosh! I love this blog because it’s a great resource for navigating MIL-SPOUSE (military spouse)-related topics.
Diet Starts Tomorrow – “DST” for short, is a Betches Media podcasts and I never miss an episode. I love Sammy and Aileen’s stories about their eating habits and their journey to lifestyle changes surrounding diet and lifestyle that works for the.