Vegan coconut bacon bits? Surely this can’t be? Well, it’s true! And it’s easy! These are perfect for topping your favorite soups, salads, and even maple bacon donuts!
***This post contains affiliate links. This means that if you click a link and make a purchase, I’ll earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Thank you for supporting this site!
I’m back with another recipe this week–vegan coconut bacon bits! I’m loving these with my salads and soups. They add that salty, sweet, smoky, crunchy extra-ness that I feel takes an okay dish to a “wow I can’t believe it” dish.
VEGAN COCONUT BACON BITS
These are very simple to make requiring only a handful of ingredients including:
Unsweetened shredded coconut (I like and recommend Bob’s Red Mill brand, you can get them right here on Amazon)
Extra virgin olive oil
Smoked paprika (I recommend *McCormick Organic Gourmet, you can get it right here on Amazon)
Liquid smoke (I used this brand, you can get it right here on Amazon)
METHOD + EQUIPMENT
The process for making vegan coconut bacon bits couldn’t be simpler.
You simply combine all of the ingredients (seperate from the coconut flakes), give them a stir, and then combine them with the coconut flakes, spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake!
I do have just a quick word about the equipment, though. I prefer to use chlorine-free, unbleached parchment paper (such as this one from Amazon, one pack will last you forever) or silicone baking mats to cut down on waste.
YOU’LL LOVE THESE COCONUT BACON BITS
You’ll love them! They’re:
The perfect balance of salty and sweet
Perfect for soups and salads
Way better for you than traditional bacon
+ Damn delish.
MORE @PLANTSDISH RECIPES TO TRY
IF YOU LOVE THIS RECIPE
Please let me know your thoughts in the comments and give this recipe a star rating and comment. Also, please follow me on IG @plantsdish and tag your creation #plantsdish. For more plant-forward content follow me on Pinterest!
Vegan Coconut Bacon Bits
- 2 cups unsweetened shredded coconut *Bob's Red Mill
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp olive oil *extra virgin
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1-2 drops liquid smoke
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, maple syrup, olive oil, cider vinegar, liquid smoke and spices. Once combined, toss the coconut flakes in the sauce until coated and spread onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 12 minutes, flipping halfway through. Be sure to watch the bacon closely, you don't want it to burn, but you do want it to be crispy.
- Let the bacon cool on the parchment-lined baking sheet because it will continue to get crispy as it cools. Once it's completely cool, store it in an airtight container at room temperature for two weeks, or freeze it for up to three months.